About the LongSwims Database
LongSwimsDB is a repository of structured, cross-linked, verified, quality-controlled data about unassisted long distance open water swimmming (also known as marathon swimming).
The database includes:
- Organized multi-participant swims or races.
- Sanctioned solo swims.
- Documented independent solo swims.
The database does not include:
- Swims using wetsuits or other swim aids.
- Events where wetsuits are optional/allowed but not listed in a separate results category from unassisted swimmers.
- Swims shorter than 10 km (with a few exceptions, such as Robben Island).
- Uncorroborated swim claims.
- Unsanctioned swims on routes governed by a well-established local association.
Profiles are automatically created for swimmers who have completed:
- four or more swims of 10 km or longer
- or, three or more swims of 16 km or longer
See included events.
How Event Results are Added
For events already included in the database, new results will be added as they are made available by the organizer/association, and as time allows. Please be patient!
All results should include at least: date, route description, swimmer names, elapsed times. Also nice to have: swimmer gender, age, nation, hometown.
Annual Organized Races
Official race results should be published on the event website, or provided directly from the organizer in a common document format such as PDF, CSV, Word, or Excel.
If wetsuits or other swim aids are allowed, unassisted swimmers must be clearly distinguished.
Association-Sanctioned Solo Swims
In most cases, ratified swims will be added at the end of the seasons based on the association's official list. In some cases, swims pending ratification may be added based on initial reports. These will always be checked with the association's list at the end of the season.
If the association does not have a public web presence, at our discretion we may add swims with proof of ratification in the form of an official certificate or similar document from the association.
Independent Solo Swims
For recent swims: ratification through MSF Documented Swims.
For historical swims: at our discretion we may add swims for which the following critical details are available:
- specific start and finish locations
- date, time, and time zone of start and finish
- rules and equipment used
- summary of conditions
- name and contact info of independent witness
If an event is not yet included in the database...
Please contact us. We love learning about new swims out there!
I want to add a swim to my profile...
Generally we do not have the bandwidth to accommodate such requests. Please consider there are over 18,000 swimmers in the database...
Whenever possible, it is far more efficient for us to import full event results rather than ad-hoc results for an individual swimmer. If you really want to add a result just for you, please join as a MSF premium member.
LongSwimsDB utilizes numerous quality-control techniques in importing data. However, occasionally errors slip through. Please contact us if you notice something.
- Different people with identical names, which can't otherwise be distinguished via age, hometown, or nationality.
- People whose name appears with different spellings/variations (e.g., nicknames) in different results.
- Married / unmarried / re-married last names.